Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Filming fire

  1. #1
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For an upcoming movie there will be a shot
    where a mirror frame will burst into flame.
    I am not sure how to expose this shot. Since the fire starts in mid shot should I underexpose by a stop. Or should I just set the exposure for the shot based on the
    unignited mirror and let it be a bit over
    exposed once the fire starts? Any lighting
    tips for fire?

    We'll be shooting black and white but I have
    not yet decided whether to use Plus-X or
    Tri-X.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I seem to always shoot a film that has a fire shot in it for some reason. I learned a long time ago that--"Fire can only light itself." You can never expect fire to cause the great mottled light on the subject. It won't happen.

    Light for the subject. Expose for the subject. If the subject is the fire then expose for that. If the subject is the person in the mirror then expose them best. Always light the subject.

    Good Luck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •